Thursday, June 19, 2008

Con Man Greed--Deflect the Con Man Attack; Here's the First Means

--How to Deter the Con Man, Keep Him out of your Pocket

Respect for Farber's First Law comes right up front: Give him an inch and he will screw you.

Anything free is worth what you pay for it. This, too, is an axiom which should describe your cautious approach, in defense of your identity from theft.

How to deter? Here are 7 simple guard rails to erect which will enable you to successfully deter the con man:

1) Shred all financial documents and paperwork with personal information before discarding. If you don't own a shredder, hone your skills with a scissors. The identity you save might be your own.

2) There was a time when you were urged to carry your social security card with you--for the convenience of instant use, "anywhere and everywhere." No more. Now, identity theft is such a widespread and serious crime that you are advised to do just the opposite: Do not--repeat, not--carry your SS card with you. and, it is strongly suggested that you give out your number only when absolutely necessary or ask to use another identifier.
Some will say, those who refuse to understand the need for this extreme caution in this current atmosphere of high risk, are missing a few buttons on their remote control.

3) Do not write your social security number on a check. Be very wary of those who ask you to do this. People who say, I don't play games, are playing games.

4) Do not give out personal information on the phone, through the mail, or over the internet, unless you know with whom you are dealing. Follow the Law of Local Anesthesia: Never say, "Oops," in the operating room..

5) Never click on links in unsolicited emails.
Use firewalls, anti-spyware, and anti-virus software to protect your home computer. Visit OnGuardOnline.gov for more information. Malicious spyware is everywhere these days, deftly employed by the con man. You don't want to have to look in the mirror and ask: How did a fool and his money get together in the first place?

6) Do not use an obvious password like your birth date, your mother's maiden name, or the last 4 digits of your SS number. A clean tie attracts the soup of the day.

7) Keep all of your personal information in a secure place at home. This is especially important if you employ outside help, are having work done in your house, have roommates, or frequently entertain freeloading guests.

How can you tell when you run out of invisible ink? O.K. It's difficult But, pushing an elevator button twice is not going to make the receptacle come any sooner either.

Only answer is to be beware, cautious, defensive, and guard your identity as you would your virginity from a mad rapist.

29 comments:

Azure Accessories said...

Great tips...I whole heartedly agree with them...I've followed them for years...I've been careful forever!!!

Cheers

Anonymous said...

The identity you save might be your own. This says it all.

Anonymous said...

I like the Law of Anesthesia...Never say "oops" in the operating room.

Anonymous said...

A gal friend of mine got in a lot of trouble by only clicking on an attachment in an email. It was from a con man fishing for personal data on her. I don't understand the technical aspects, but somehow he managed to glom on to her PINs, passwords, even her credit card number. lots of damage was unleashed on her. I guess that's what you are talking about.

Jack Payne said...

Yes, Lynn, that was EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Anonymous said...

I recently worked for a big catalog house in order-taking, and it is maddening how easily people give up vital information. I never had any trouble at all getting any touchy number information I wanted, including security numbers on the backs of credit cards, pin numbers, and social security digits. When will people learn?

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment too on your Point 4. But I see Mary Jane beat me to it, about how easy it is to get vital personal information out of people in general. Don't they know they are playing with fire by sticking their necks out like this?
This is so hard to believe or understand.

Jack Payne said...

Mary Jane, you said it best, "It is maddening."

Earl, this is a battle I have been fighting for many years, largely unsuccessfully. The battle goes on. And on. And on. Ever on.

Anonymous said...

How does a fool and his money get together in the first place...I like that line too.

The Small Biz. Guru said...

I always become very uncomfortable when I have to bring my SS card somewhere. So many ID thefts going on now-a-days.

I will say though, I do not understand how people still click links from unknown people so willingly!!

Wake up people. Unless you know the source, DO NOT CLICK IT.

~the GURU

Anonymous said...

Whatever the reason is too much to put up with. When will all this crime stop? I call these people the tripsters because that is what they do - they trip you up.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous stole one from me...I like the How does a fool and his money get together in the first place line too.

Anonymous said...

I've been in a lot of homes where these kinds of highly personal forms and documents are laying around on tables, desks, etc. I can't understand this. Starting with their own homes so many people are careless with important things. So many don't seem to keep anything private.

Anonymous said...

People who say the don't play games are playing games. That's the line I like.

Jack Payne said...

Thanks for helping me ring the alarm bells, SBG.

Gene, go to the Archives, October 15, 2007. I've got a post there--Test Your Home Habits First--that, I think covers your concerns well.

badthing1 said...

Hi Jack :)

As someone who's been through identity theft and internet stalking I take your tips VERY seriously and am glad to see them.

You know what? I think I'll add your blog to my blogroll. It's that good. ;)

Anonymous said...

Truly excellent advice Jack ... all of which needs to be repeated on a regular basis to remind us on a regular basis.
Take care my friend.
~JD

Barry said...

Great tips! I love the line - a clean tie will attract the soup of the day.

Anonymous said...

You know, Jack, the thing I loved about your book was that your protagonist Steve Draves was a legal con man...every scam he took part in was legal. This is what made him so fascinating. Don't you ever do anything in your blog postings about legal scams?...that would be real interesting.

Jack Payne said...

Real interesting that you have been through identity theft, Marilyn. You then certainly know how essential it is for everyone with possessions to protect to stay alert to scams, on their toes.

J.D. and Barry, glad to see that you guys stay alert to all the little things, microscopic detail. (When it gets down to stained ties, this is infinitesimal, indeed, Barry.)

Jack Payne said...

Hang in there, Terry. Next up--my posting for next week--is exactly what you are looking for, a con game that can be set up perfectly legally. Watch for it.

Anonymous said...

Wow,this is great advice that I did NOT know. I am going to make some serious changes from now on. I appreciate this stuff Jack. I am blow away with how much you know about all this. Thanks for sharing this truly eye-opening information. I need it. What a life you must have lived to know all that you do and to have written all that you've written. I am blown away!! I was checking out your other writing blog and I hope to join that group of writers once my work schedule calms down a bit. It looks like a very exciting site. You must have the energy of 10 men! I know I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

Good informations. the arrangement is very good. Nice to read.

Ranjeet Kr. Vimal said...

Useful tips

Anonymous said...

As an entreprenuer of my own business,an incounter with con men is almost a lifetime , and they had same personalities and attitudes, They comb their hair same and they almost had the same scent, Mind you they wear same shirt and coat and tie. The best way to identify is to know their ideals, they even have the same pimples set-ups. They are akward and their language and accent are clearly forged if you are educated to an exclussive school the eassier you can pimp on them.They goes in bunch together same car same shirt same brand on pants same wedding ring. Same falcificated pistols and scalpels brands.Same manicure with mertayulates. Ask them who are their friends example George Bush,Study George Bush Brands and speech accent,Hair style show them how you appreciate their style and call them "sir" how they love it, Make them sit.They can't sit properly and they had same cheap shoes...and expensive coat.They glue and cant get their eyes over an expensive jewelries you are wearing. If one of these is your cuostumer, I will always make a point to make them pay in cash and never take check and credit cards. In short in this king of personality sorry to be a racist bisiness woman "NO DEAL" Real innocent people are careless oftenly blunder in accent and their speech.

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

Hello there, well written article liked very much,I think we could became blog palls :)!
Anyway I´m César, as you, I write on the internet, even tought my website theme is a lot different from your.....
I write poker web pages about poker bonus free of deposit........
Learned a lot here

Anonymous said...

Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that humanitarian of dirt in such a complete way of writing? I be enduring a bestowal next week, and I am on the look suitable such information.
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]